View Single Post
      06-28-2018, 09:32 PM   #1
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Moving radiator to trunk

I'm talking about moving the radiator, coolant pump, thermostat, expansion tank to the trunk, ventilating from the side of the car, exhausting downwards and out the back of the car. Essentially the always-flowing coolant circuit will be made a lot larger to facilitate delivery to and return from the rear. This means the car will take some time longer to warmup but shouldn't have any thermal issues otherwise only advantages. Due to all the clutter now in the trunk the engine bay will have really increased potential to become SICK as listed below.

Actually I dunno if an expansion tank will even be used. Maybe just an overflow and catch is simpler. And if I have variable airflow over the rad with the option for no flow the thermostat can probably be removed altogether for simplified plumbing and less stress on the pump.

Finally, titanium hardlines to the rear would seem to be ideal.

Has following disadvantages:

--requires battery relocation depending on your ventilation strategy
--increasing weight with increasing simplicity of pump / plumbing (increasing rad travel pipe diameter)
--costs money
--needs effort
--can't use trunk anymore (who uses it anyways?)

Has following advantages:

--more room in engine bay
--cooler engine bay, aesthetically speaking
--cooler engine bay, thermally speaking
--vastly cleaner engine bay, "shaved" look possible
--better weight distribution. sorely needed because the car becomes front heavy after removing all low hanging fruit weight-wise
--better potential for ventilation depending on where you are willing to draw / exhaust the air, so possibly more cooling ability. also there is more thermal capacity.

Last edited by The Wind Breezes; 06-28-2018 at 10:43 PM..
Appreciate 0