08-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #19
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3alabama View Post
I could buy that except the regular 3 series, my old e60 with 250hp 5 series and many other bimmers have brake ducts built in and those cars have zero chance of seeing a track.

So that is my point, if you put it on all the low horsepower cars but leave them off the 2 highest performance cars I don't see the logic especially when the brakes are a common complaint
You have to realise that it was easy to incorporate air channels in the bumper for the regular BMWs as those areas of the bumper were not being used. In the M cars, all the bumper intakes have been used, leaving no space for brake ducts. Incorporating them would have cost more than it would have done in a regular BMW, thus my previous post about cost. Again, BMW M compensated for the lack of dedicated cooling channels by having floating and crossed drilled discs of a larger dimension, in addition to curved cooling vanes in the discs (compared to straight vanes in the regular BMW disc), all of which serve to increase cooling ability.

Brakes on M cars are NOT a common complaint. It is a common complaint for enthusiasts and automotive journalists, but NOT for the majority of people who have bought these cars. BMW has catered for the enthusiast by making the M performance sport brake pads available for those that require improved braking. They are used on the ring taxis, which obviously carry a full load of passengers. This is what I have currently and they fit my needs fine so far. If you need more, then obviously you will have to spend on cooling ducts, BBK etc.

Last edited by mlhj83; 08-24-2012 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 0