View Single Post
      06-30-2007, 12:46 PM   #21
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post
+1 on that reasoning - I think the word '"pedestrian" might be apropos for the chosen design...

But if BMW is going to take risks, which I think they should, they need to take the right risks. The few they took with the 1 coupe (at least as revealed in the wallpaper photos) don't seem to work - witness the silly add-on trunklip spoiler that looks like it belongs on a 97 Camry with a "sport" package. And I am really trying to like that daring sharp crease along the sides/haunches but so far no luck.

By no means do I think the car is a design disaster, but it could have been so much more...
Eh, I think BMW decided that taking risks with styling is no longer in their best interest. The Z4 is not selling very well and many attribute that to the rather polarizing styling (because it certainly drives very nicely); the same applies to the E65/66. Those designs were done to introduce and headline the current design language, so there is no a longer a need to produce some kind of love it or hate it, push the limits design IMO.

I think this design, though, is actually quite racy. Much more so than the E92 and E87 which both appear softer and more luxorious. I even like the subtle lip spoiler, much more so than a traditional setup, especially given the useful nature of the piece. It kind of reminds me of the setup on the V8 S4s.
Appreciate 0