United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I did PM Scott after I had heard from more than one source that the name M1 was a definite no-no, at the time the name that kept cropping up was 135tii as the most likely alternative but as Scott has said the letter M will be mentioned in it's name then I am of the opinion that it will be one of these.

1M, 135iM or my personal favourite M135is.

If the car isn't called the M1 or 1M for that matter then I am of the belief that this is down to the fact that the 1 series is close to the end of it's life cycle and as there has never been an 'M' with such a short life it would probably be better to save the proper name for the new 1 series.

I fully expect that in the future BMW will do "an Audi" and offer two levels of performance cars per model range, possibly a tii and the M, this would obviously allow for much of the current M's practicality and luxuries to remain in the 'tii' branded cars with a slight drop in output and performance, that way letting the 'M' car to return to their more focused roots of the past and build a true driver's car in more limited numbers thus reducing the need to meet the crippling emission regulations that will be the death of the breed.
I suspected this as well when the tii concept first appeared, plus it would have avoided the naming argument of a 1 series M. But, would every tii branded car have to be turbo, injected, and intercooled?