View Single Post
      01-08-2020, 11:50 AM   #8
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
ahhhh, i had no idea they made a different version of that engine support. I like your solution to get it to work!

You know what, i totally think removing the steering rack was a good move because it will give you some much needed room to drop the turbofold and put the new one on.

I still cringe when I think about removing and of the lines that had coolant running through it. I think my car was at 50K when i did the install, and those coolant lines were basically seized on. I wish i though of just cutting them instead of trying to install them, would have saved me a couple of evenings under the car.

I ran the JB4 stock turbo but went MHD before the PS2 and have stayed that way. To me the DCT cars run much better. You can limit boost in gears 1, 2, and 3 in the MHD app, but I have never tried it. I know the appeal of the JB4, you can switch maps quickly, you basically do not have any additional costs after your turbo install to dial the car in, vs having to pay for an e-tune and grabbing logs at least a few times to get the car dialed in. IMO, the car runs better flash only if you have the right tune. Either way, Wedge would be who i go with whether you need a BEF or a stand alone tune.

I am sure you already know this, but another thing to keep in mind in your next mod list is an M2,3,4 flywheel. Just got mine put in a few months ago and wish i had the funds to do it much sooner. It's shocking how much heavier the stock flywheel is and how much easier the engine revs now. You will also be stuck at around 18psi boost and 11 degrees timing with the stock flywheel.

Good luck getting the turbo off. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Hmm, I actually didn't know about the M2,3,4 flywheel but after reading you response, it's now on my mod list. I know when I put an aluminum flywheel on another car I auto-cross raced it rev'd much quicker.

I plan to get a stand alone tune so I can get the most out of the turbo, and I believe the JB4 has an option to "keep the safeties and run a stand alone flash", which I might try but if it doesn't work out I'll ditch the JB4 and go stand alone only. The JB4 is nice but as others have complained about, it's not that "smooth".

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0