tbird
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Bianca" 135cic AW/TC

Garage List
2008 135cic  [0.00]
1 Series and the M

Lord knows there have been quite a few threads on the M setup coming to the 1. Questions on when the SuperSports model will come out, if/when a "M1" will come, questions on its engine.

They are doing a national tour of the M cars. Certain people got the invites to go drive the M. I got my hands on one and so I went. It was in FLL at the Antique Auto Museum. I got to talk one-on-one with the BMW NA M Division bigwig who ran the demonstration. Got a quick dose of info. As for the 1 Series being changed, it won't happen in this revision. They like to come out with the M in the beginning of the model series. The one has been out for 3 years here, but longer in Europe. In the next model, there could be a 1. No guarantee. As for the supersport model, still in works for this model.

As for the E92, they still are planning to move away from normal aspiration. With the new turbo design, they keep pushing hard to reduce the turbo lag. The demonstration gave good info on that.

They give us a solo test drive. I will have to admit that the only other BMW I would ever consider past the 135 would be only an M3. It is a beast. Switch on M-Power, turn off DSC, and just that alone gives it a hell of a punch. I also found the DSG interesting. Not perfect, it definitely has some operational annoyances, but the shifting of gears, how it keeps two gears on at all times and the dual clutch just bounces between them, that is pretty darn impressive.

I am still a 1 Addict, I still love my 1, and the price tag on the M still keeps it away for me. But if they actually came out with a true M1, I don't know how I could resist.

Here's some pics, enjoy!
Attached Images

2008 135cic, Alpine White/Terracotta Leather/BlackTop, Premium Package (Bluetooth, folding mirrors, etc), Sport Package with M Wheel, Navigation, Logic7 with HD and IPod and Sirius, Steptronic, M Aerodynamic Kit

2001 Focus ZX3, modified for fun commuting

Previous
2006 325xi
2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro
1984 Audi 4000S Quattro modified
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Camaro modified
1993 Ford Explorer (basic hauling)
1984+1988 Ford Broncos
1993 Honda Civic (Commuter, junk)
2008 Mini (wife's car, AWESOME)