View Single Post
      01-25-2017, 08:32 PM   #82
WhatsADSM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowtrobot View Post
Looking for advice on reasonable brake upgrades for my 128i. Ran 3 DE events at Watkins Glen last year, looking to do 4-5 this year. Ran stock rotors with Hawk HPS and Motul 600 fluid, bled a week or so before the event. Was mostly good aside from two things:

1) Brakes started fading pretty badly after I moved up run groups and was getting faster. Not something I want going downhill into a turn.
2) Rear pads were annihilated somehow. My guess is the e-diff ate them up Day 1 which was rainy, did not get into TC at all, only a few moments of ABS.

I've ordered stainless steel lines, but additionally I've been eyeing 335i brakes or F30 brakes as options, but these will require new wheels, as I'm on 17" 262s, so that kind of blows the budget up.

Also been looking at the BMW Performance brakes with the piston retrofit, since these will fit my wheels, but wasn't sure if this would be worthwhile, or a half-measure. (Been looking into sourcing 135i fronts and 328i rears to assemble the kit on my own w/o the PY paint)

Lastly, had considered the BMW Performance front bumper and retrofitting the 135i cooling ducts and fender liners, but I'm not sure that the performance/$$ ratio makes this worthwhile. I'm not crazy about the look of the Performance bumper, and getting paint matched is always a little dicey.

Given that I'm doing 4-5 events/year (8-10 days), is it even worth doing this, or just go to a dedicated set of rotors and track pads and leave the rotors/calipers stock size?

Any advice would be appreciated!
As others have stated. HPS pad is your biggest issue. They simply won't hold up to any track time beyond some basic parade laps. No matter what you decide don't go back out there with HPS (I wouldn't even bother with HP+ either).
Appreciate 1