View Single Post
      08-15-2007, 04:02 PM   #11
Klinn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
RA1s are not one of them. They suck on the autocross course, and the Advans will likely outperform them. They just don't heat up on a 80 second run.
From the tests I've seen in past years, plus my own experience with them (admittedly not back-to-back testing), I think the RA1's are stickier than Neova AD07's. The Toyo's are a true R-compound tire, but of the previous generation before V710's, A6's, and the like. They may take longer to warm up, but even while cooler they still have more stick than a street tire, even one as good as Azenis etc. In my experience, the RA1's definitely don't "suck". :smile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_fan
the tires that come from factory should be sufficient
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driv3r
Goodyear Eagle F1's FTMFW!!! Trust me soo sticky.
Sorry, but as I mentioned in my previous posts, I've tried various high performance street tires. They don't begin to compare to R-compounds. If you get a chance, go to a Solo2 event and ride along with somebody on R's and who knows how to use them. You will be amazed at the difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo
So you're looking for r-comp suggestions, eh? Well if you want sticky and don't care about wear go for the Hoosier A6 or Kumho V710 in 245x35-18, BFGoodrich g-Force R1 in 265x35-18
Heh-heh, I think I'm chasing the impossible dream. Something close to the stickiness of V710's or A6's, but streetable. I don't think I could get away with using either of those on the street for long. Thanks for the reminder about the BFG R1's, I had forgotten about those, I'll have to check into them and see if they are my magic compromise tire. :biggrin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati
<snip> R compounds are NO MORE FUN than hot street tires. You will have better lap times, though you said you're not chasing that. <snip>
You raise some very good points. I made a bad choice of wording by describing my interest as only "having fun". I should have said that while I realize I won't catch the guys on the hottest R-compounds, I would like to close the gap compared to running on a true street tire like Azenis etc.

BTW, just to let you know where I'm coming from, I do know that the driver is even more important than the tires. I've been doing Solo2 off and on for many years, and have acted as one of the instructors for our regional club. I know I can certainly find time by improving my driving, but could also take advantage of what a stickier tire might offer.

But, as I mentioned just above, I think I'm chasing an impossible dream. Manufacturers just aren't offering that "streetable" R-compounds any more, but concentrating on winning at Topeka! I may have to bite the bullet and get a second set of wheels, but I keep hoping that I can avoid the hassle even if it means I give up that last increment of performance.
Appreciate 0