View Single Post
      12-04-2016, 06:10 AM   #51
Oughourj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i

Is there a definitive conclusion as to where the seal goes bad on our pax side headlight?

I just got the dreaded adaptive headlight malfunction, though knew it was coming due to worsening condensation. The oil cooler heating cycles theory makes perfect sense as it seems we all eventually end up with condensation in the right side headlight, even on other n54 powered cars with oil coolers.

I opened mine up without actually removing the headlight and cleared the condensation, but an unusually humid day resulted in the condensation coming right back. This did however clear the malfunction and the lights are back to working condition.

As a preventative measure, I want to replace my headlight housing before frying any pricey electronics (control unit etc.) but this doesn't seem like a permanent solution as the new and very expensive headlight will eventually have the same sealing problem.

I'm going to remove the headlight soon and try to find exactly where the seal has gone bad; whether it's the lens-to-headlight cover seal or the back cover seal (mine seems to be in good order). Will report back, any tips or additional info much appreciated was also thinking of maybe installing some kind of heat shield under the headlight as a more permanent fix.
Appreciate 0