08-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #29
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absorber View Post
So is it possible that the low pressure sensor is failing and the ECU and in-tank pump aren't being told that the low pressure sensor failed... causing the in-tank pump to pump less than 5 bar of pressure... starving the HPFP?

That's a question I can't really answer.

I work with sensors and controls like this all the time on an industrial level, and it would be an extremely rare case for that to happen....BUT...the stuff I'm working with is higher quality (3 or 4 times more expensive than what BMW is selling this part for), and operates at a different voltage and current range.

If the ECU is programmed to look for it, I'd say the answer is "No, it's not possible" because if it were done right you'd run a little self test on it from time to time to make sure you're not getting false readings. In other words, if I were doing it I'd write a little piece of code that tells the pump to ramp up by a certain % and check the pressure change, then ramp down by the same amount and check it again, then subtract the two and compare it to a known good pressure change. You could do that on a periodic basis without effecting the engine, and if it's not working properly you won't see the change and you can set a fault, but we don't know if they're actually doing that.
Appreciate 0