blackberryq10android
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i 2009 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehrui View Post
My first gear appears to be shot as it is constantly popping out of gear. Had the dealer take a look early on when it happened less often and was told the transmission is on its way out and was quoted a hefty price to replace it.

Lately its gotten worse and worse. I've located a replacement transmission online with low miles (~40k) and have a local shop that can do the work.

While I am replacing the transmission I plan to do the clutch as well since it, too, is on its way (car has ~120k miles). I was told I should do the flywheel as well. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should go with? OE replacement? Aftermarket? Also, anything else I should get done while the transmission is out?

Vehicle is a 2009 128i (N51)

Thanks in advance!
Take a look at the Valeo single mass flywheel & clutch package. Very good price for a new clutch/flywheel combo, same characteristics as stock, more reliable/longer lasting because of the single mass flywheel design. It will however be a bit noisier (more gear lash noise).

You can upgrade your transmission mounts for relatively cheap also - either M3 or Rogue Engineering rubber transmission mounts for example.

Last but not least, rebuild the full shifter mechanism, including uprated bracket bushings, upgrade to a DSSR maybe, shifter bushings, coupler etc etc.
Dunno if it is worth the cost to do all of that especially if your car has 120k miles and car net worth is 8k-9k at most. With all that work be 5-6k or more.

I would just keep driving it until it can't drive anymore and deal with the transmission until that happens or find a good deal....shop around, a repair shop would love to do a transmission work in this economy, see if you can get a reasonable price.
Appreciate 0