10-22-2019, 05:16 PM   #40
MattH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
2006 M5  [0.00]
I have a Cobb Tuner, I plan on considering MHD when my turbo goes out and I need to upgrade. For now I am FBO with Cobb and I am happy with the car.

I wanted to give an update and retrospect: First, shout out to HP Autosport who helped me through this and removed my mods and put the car back to stock and then put all the mods back on again. Harold really hooked me up. Second, Cobb tuning has been very responsive to my emails and provided me with enough assurance that I am going to reflash my car back to the Cobb tune.

My mistake was to take the car with the Cobb Stage 3 tune to an unreliable smog technician. In this state my car had the 1st O2 sensors shut off since I was running a catless dp. My thinking was if i take the tune off I'd have a CEL and void smog test. So, like a dummy, I went to a unreliable smog tech with my O2 sensors off and one way or the other, I got flagged. That tech wouldn't tell me why and sent me into a panic.

We all guessed it was the visible FBO mods, so we took them off and removed the tune and the stock cat put back on. As I reported here, I failed the first go around with the smog referee because the software security checksum codes didn't match the factory BMW code. I reflashed at my local BMW dealer and then passed smog referee. Cobb has assured me the checksum codes will be intact and safely stored on the tuner but I can't fully account for what happened to it in the first place.

Thinking to avoid this, I purchased a catted DP and plan to remove the tune so I can run without a CEL for the smog test. I am also putting CARB stickers on all the shiny parts so I can pass a visual. In the case I fail again, I know what to do going forward.

I also have a business concept: I am renting out a box of stock n55 135i items you need to pass smog with. Like stock intercooler, charge pipe, intake, and catalytic converter. I had to come up with this and it wasn't easy. You put a deposit of whatever the items cost new, when they are all returned, i give your money back less $250, you pay all shipping. Serious, it's it available to rent, hit me up.
Appreciate 1
dtla1826.00