View Single Post
      05-02-2017, 08:42 AM   #155
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55 DCT

Dack, thanks for the detailed pics! I was able to bolt up the flange correctly and repair the threads last weekend.

I'm still working on getting my poorly joined Y pipe welded. I need to figure out how to replace the downpipe studs as mine are severely rusted, before I attempt to uninstall everything. I may use stainless M8x32 bolts with the copper nuts but I’m still trying to see if I can find the original bolts that tap in.

On another note, I think I have figured out the ideal setup for those N55 guys looking to go the PE route and control drone.

I would like to coin this setup as the “ACTIVE PE MOD” to make things simple for those referencing this idea haha!

The PE Y pipe does drone a bit while cruising but sounds great overall with N55 mids. This seems to be more of an issue for the DCT guys as it’s harder to keep the car outside of the RPMs that moan and drone.

The solution I prefer is to use the ExhaustMeister flapper control in conjunction with a PE modded muffler.

The advantages are that you can retain the stock black chrome tips without having to make them work the hard way and you have a fully functioning exhaust flapper valve! Also all you would need is the Y pipe and a good welder to help mimic the PE muffler (straight pipe for the flapped side).

While cruising, the ExhaustMeister allows you to open and close the flapper on demand by pressing the garage door buttons on your rear-view mirror. This shuts the drone up to an acceptable level while cruising.

I may be one of a handful of guys running this setup, possibly the only one.

Interestingly, my car came with the PE Y pipe and stock muffler. I’m assuming the previous owner sold the muffler but didn’t bother with the Y pipe. He also had a really bad exhaust shop assemble everything with shit parts and methods, hence all the repairs.

Keep in mind there are two style stock mufflers for our cars. One designed for the N54 (internal Y bend perforated) and another for the N55 (internal Y bend not perforated). The Y section here is not to be confused with the “Y” pipe. This is the section INSIDE the muffler. With my setup I simply wrapped the pipe with the three larger holes to make the flapped pipe a straight pipe. My muffler is identical to the PE muffler aside from the added benefit of having a flapper valve to quite things down on demand.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50