09-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #76
mbzgirl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT M Sport Pkg

DCT quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaPilot View Post
Well, less than a month later my car ended up back on the flatbed. While the DCT is still giving some problems, it wasn't the primary reason it's at the dealership this time. I was driving to work and the brake pedal went to the floor. Luckily, I like following distance so I managed to get the car stopped with the e-brake and downshifting with a couple of feet to spare from the car in front of me. Tried pumping the brakes back up and they didn't regain pressure. I managed to get it into a parking lot using the e-brake and called BMW roadside. I shut the car down for a few minutes and voila, brake pressure returned the next time I started it. Either way, I wasn't about to drive it.

As for the DCT, it's still got some quirks that have gotten worse the more miles I've put on it since it was last at the dealer. It's gotten where I drive it almost exclusively in manual now and most of the time with DTC turned off. I rolled on the gas pulling out of my neighborhood this morning and waited...nothing. Little more gas and the car is barely inching out as that car that was far away has gotten alot closer. The revs finally jump up and WHAM, we're in gear and off to the races. That's happened several times over the past week along with a couple of occasions where it thought I wanted launch control. I'm not a two foot driver, so I don't believe I gave the car any indication that I wanted launch control. Not to mention I didn't have sport mode engaged or the DTC off which I believe have to be set to get launch control. Kind of startling to step on the gas and all of a sudden see the checkered flag and hear gear engagement reminiscent of an SMG equipped E46 M3 slamming home 2nd and 3rd.

I'm seriously considering asking BMW for a buy back on this car or pursuing lemon law coverage. I just know as soon as I say the word lemon law, then I'm out a loaner vehicle and who knows how long it'll be before the issue is resolved. The DCT problems are enough at this point, but brake failure is a serious safety issue. Especially considering how often I have 1 or all of my kids in the car. Anyone have any experience with BMW on a buyback or lemon law claim.

MD Designs- I've been following your trials and tribulations. How did you initiate the process of your car getting replaced? I wasn't clear on if that's what you pushed for or if BMW offered that. I'm afraid of ending up in that position and having to "accept" a car with options or a color combo I really don't care for. My car is fairly low on options to begin with as it was the only silver and black 135 with sport pack that I found within 500 miles of here. Don't care to end up having to pay for premium packs, etc. just to get a replacement.
I have a 2011 135i with the M Sport package and I am having a similar problem with my DCT. Of coarse when I take it in to the shop it doesn't have a problem. It started with just a slight lag which I attributed to the turbo. It is progressively getting worse and this weekend when I started from a red light I had the lag and when the transmission engaged the it made a thunk noise. Needless to say it is going into the shop tomorrow. Unlike some other posters who just drive their car in manual, I live in Houston and during rush hour manual is a huge pain. Besides, why have the DCT if you are never going to drive in auto? I also have one of the first 135's with the DCT, having purchased my 2011 car late June 2010. I really hope they can correct this as otherwise I love the car. I considered an M-3, but it isn't significantly faster and a lot more money. Also I prefer a smaller car.
Appreciate 0