View Single Post
      02-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #122
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Only the lower control arm needs to be supported, that way the bearing carrier/spindle is left free to move around to align everything. Jack or raise the lower control arm to the bearing carrier/spindle. Once you get it close you can use a punch to further align everything before inserting the bolt.
Ok thanks for the feedback -- the punch technique was relatively successful on the other side.
Are you using the punch as a lever inserted all the way through the assembly or are you using it to lever each side of the carrier bearing?
(Any idea what size punch you are using in the shop?)
I've been getting by with a stout screwdriver...

--
UPDATE: Ultimately I was able to get things aligned enough to shove a 3/8" extension through to the other side despite the spindle bearing not being perfectly aligned. (This was after 90 minutes of fussing with using anything I could as a lever to align the holes, including the punch technique.) By levering the extension bar in the proper direction, I could get a sense of where the spindle assembly needed to move in order to align the control arm optimally. Then I used a second jack (the portable kind included by manufacturers in cars) at an angle to move the spindle assembly in the proper direction. This got the spindle bearing aligned enough that I just used the punch to tweak from both sides, and the bolt passed through. Unorthodox, likely. Thanks again for your guidance!

It will be interesting to see if all these machinations further reduce the noise I've been hearing from the rear.

Last edited by ayao; 02-24-2015 at 12:01 AM..
Appreciate 0