View Single Post
      06-18-2017, 08:24 PM   #104
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Castrol 0-40 European says it meets BMW specs and is on the most current BMW list, I believe. I've used it the last two oil changes.

My last oil change I learned something significant, at least to me. I mistakenly only bought 1 5 qt container so I tried just adding that and seeing where I was at. It is right at the mid-point of the oil level indicator! So 1 5 qt filled it. The car was tilted due to jack on the passengers side and I did not take the filter out until I put the drain plug back in, not my normal practice. So that may have left a bit more oil in the engine. But still I think putting in a 5 qt and checking the level is reasonable. It should take less than another quart and possibly no more oil to get to the mid point. I try to carry a spare quart in a BMW bag in the trunk (although I need to get one at the moment because my wifes car needed one) so if it checks a little low I should be able to take care of it.