Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Active Autowerke Tune - 128i

I want to start off first thanking Raine who was very helpful and quick to reply to most of my questions I had about the AA tune. He is probably the only other 128i auto or manual that I know of that has this done.

After much consideration and research I decided to pull the trigger and go with the AA tune. I had also considered G - Power Tuning but speaking with some people, I learned that they are a expensive tune that provides slightly more horsepower vs AA plus I couldn't find any one that had it done on their 1ers yet.

Viral was very helpful although it took awhile to receive an reply back through email. I had also emailed others at Active Autowerke and never received an reply back. But if any person has a question, Viral is the person to talk to. I would consider calling him instead of sending PM or emails.

Why choose to get the Tune?

First I drive in Auto mode more often than DS mode, probably 80% of my daily driving.
  • Poor acceleration - I find the pedal to be quite stiff and the car to be non responsive at times - just feel sluggish.
  • Throttle lag - by far my biggest complaint which makes city driving painful at times. I would need to get it pass ~2500 to ~3000 rpm to really get her moving.

How do i feel after getting the tune?

I wanted to wait a week or so before I decided to write a review.
I have been switching on and off driving my GF's suv and my GTI so I didn't want to rush and write a review until I drove my 128i for at least a week straight.

DS Mode
Much more livelier to say the least. I do not know the redline is but I'm able to get it to shift gears at much higher rpm. Exhaust note sounds better too. I also noted that my car felt a little more loose.

D mode
I drive alot within the city, in and out of lights and drive through multiple of stops signs at a time. I notice that throttle lag has been substantially reduce. I would not say it is completely vanished but I would say that at least ~90% of the throttle lag of before is diminished.

Surprisingly, the acceleration has made more of impression on me than the improvement of the throttle lag. Going from a stop to entering onto the fwy at speeds of 65+ has become so much more easier. The acceleration is smoother and constant throughout each gear. I anticipated that after 4th gear that acceleration would slow down but quite frankly it is steady and smooth without the need for more effort to press down harder on the pedal. That feeling of the pedal trying to press back when trying to achieve higher speed (in my case 70 to 85 ) is nonexistence.

I could say that there is some increase in hp and torque. How much? I'm not sure but enough for me to notice a difference. Is there an increase gas mileage? I can't come to a conclusion yet. Only after a few tanks of gas and with repeatable driving habits will I make a conclusion on that. I'll update in the future. I'm not sure how they achieved this. I tried asking Viral if they tinkered with the valve timing, etc. but couldn't get a straight answer even though I didn't anticipate one. But what he did say is that they are seriously considering to do some R&D into a intake manifold upgrade for the 128i in the end of this year. Sounds cool but sounds like a lot of dough too.

Almost all ecu flashes are expensive and for the AA tune there is no exception. But after driving my 128i for at least a week and half after a tune I couldn't be happier. Its about how the car feels now, its not the same, its more responsive and its quicker but most of all its more fun.
Appreciate 0