View Single Post
      06-13-2019, 01:12 PM   #23
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Aubele View Post
It's my wife's track car so I only have autocross and street time with it, but honestly I don't really like it. It has a massive midrange, but like you said it falls off hard up top. Took it to the dragstrip to see where she should be shifting it, letting the car shift itself at ~7000 it trapped 109mph, shifting it at 5800 it trapped 112.

It certainly works but it was really hard to modulate at low speeds. She doesn't have any issues at the faster hillclimbs we run but this past weekend was having some difficulty getting out of slower corners. I have an easier time getting power down in my 504 rwhp 2525lb E36.

All the hills we run are out your way, a couple of friends we race with run E85 can't remember where they get it. I know they have to drive like 45 min away. We have it everywhere around here.

This is all tuning. Stock tune provides a flat 300/300. It's only when you spin the stock turbo beyond it's efficiency in the mid-range does the car "fall flat on its face" at high rpm... and produce gobs of low-end torque that makes for poor drive-ability...

People value horsepower so much... a 3300lb car with 300whp is plenty to run faster lap times than anyone here has ever posted up (again look at the lap times of a professionally driven n55 powered m235iR @ 280hp). If you want to punch way above your weight then expect to put a little money into the car lol A PS2 turbo will make a nice 450whp/400wtq and you should be able to run with corvettes and other high-end sports cars.

spend 15k on a 135i or go drop 30-40k on a comparable aged z06 or something? I guess it's kind of the "built" vs "bought" mentality I suppose.

Last edited by bbnks2; 06-13-2019 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0