Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10M3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
The bigger rubber is slightly heavier and bigger rolling diameter. Car might feel a little slower. Also I had stock size Sport Cup 1s and they took a bit to warm up. The Suoersports were better cold. Once Sport cup warmed up they were great. Maybe Sport Cup 2 better warm but FYI these track type tires can get you in trouble cold.
Thank you. Yep all summer/performance tires need warming up and should not be driven in cold weather.
I think you misunderstood me. The MPSS are performance summer tires that work better when warmed up a little. The Sport Cup is a competition tire not a summer performance tire. It sounds like you are classifying them both the same. They are not. The Sport Cup can be downright slick when not warmed up. And I don't mean snow weather. I autocrossed my stock size Sport cups in San Diego at 78 degrees temp and I spun out after the checkered flag the first time out. In the middle of the second run they began to hook up. So no they are not both summer performance tires. The Sport Cup2 might be better now but just driving on them in nice weather does not warm them up enough if you decide to unleash the beast. Whereas the summer performance tire hooks up better after just driving around town. If you look at tire rack the Sport is listed as a streetable competition tire.

It sort of came across as "yes I know that" but you consider them the same type of tire. I had the same thing happen to me when I picked up my 1M and visited with the head of M Marketing Europe at the M design center in Garching. I told him I was going straight to Nurburgring in my 1M. He told me don't turn off traction control until you have spent a bit of seat
Time. I answered him exactly like you just did. Yes, I know. Obvious.

He looked at me seriously and said listen to me, I'm serious, don't turn traction control off right away.

But then my wife wanted to go to Venice so we scrapped the Ring. After break in I took it out to my first autocross in it and immediately turned everything off as I had done over 20 years of autocrossimg and after some serious embarrassment and fixing about 8 cones I understood why he was so adamant. I am convinced I would've turned TC off at the ring and would be a cautionary YouTube video today, showing a brand new 1M totaled at the ring.

If you did already know they are different types of
Tires the accept my apologies.

Best wishes
Appreciate 2
JP-1M171.00
dim635csi203.00