Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Ivanov View Post
China's internal affair, actually. No?
Which "China"?

Where everything still stands, there are still two official "Chinas".
But we live in a world where you're only allowed to recognize one as the "real" China (One China Policy).
These days, most countries recognize Beijing/mainland China.
And if you recognize the mainland Chinese government, then you have to pretend the government on Taipei doesn't exist.

Z K is right when he says the best analogous current situation is that of North and South Korea. I've always used the same analogy to explain it in simpleton terms to my friends and such.
The main difference is that there is no such thing as a "One Korea Policy", which makes things a little less complicated than the Taiwan-Mainland China situation (where there's an active "One China Policy").

In the end, this is all just stupid semantics.
I'm not sympathetic to Beijing's politicizing of daily matters that were previously irrelevant.
It's not "technically" or legally wrong to say that Taipei is part of "China", for example, since it technically is constitutionally bound as such by both governments. Taipei, Taiwan is officially part of the Republic of China, but not the People's Republic of China.
But, not everyone studies poli-sci or history.
And for the purposes of general information, for the average Joe booking a flight to Taiwan, listing TPE as "Taipei, China" can lead to many problems, since colloquially, the term "China" when used by itself mostly refers to Mainland China.

First is the Visa issue:
A US Citizen holding a US passport is visa-exempted upon landing in Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau.
But, if that same US passport holder steps into mainland China, he needs a Visa for entry.

Second is the Currency:
Mainland China uses the Renminbi (CNY/RMB). Taiwan uses the New Taiwan Dollar (NT). Hong Kong uses the Hong Kong Dollar (HKD). Macau uses the Macanese pataca (MOP).
Try using RMB in Taiwan or NTD in Shanghai. You're gonna get laughed at.
Make the same mistake at a Karaoke bar and you might even get your ass kicked.

Third is language:
All Chinese right? Well yeah, but it's a bit more intricate than that.
Imagine you're in charge of business development in an expanding company and you'd like to set-up shop in the "Greater China Region" (a real PC business term, I'm not joking).
So now what? Just find a Chinese guy? Print some pamphlets in Chinese?
Nope, not that easy.
Taiwan and Mainland China speak Mandarin officially.
Hong Kong and Macau speak Cantonese.
Now, here's where it gets interesting...Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau write in Traditional Chinese script, whereas mainland China writes using Simplified Chinese script.
So basically, at a minimum, you have to print material in two scripts and anything oral/spoken (i.e., video narration), also needs to be available in the two spoken varieties.

There's more beyond what I've listed. But this is what happens when you politicize daily matters that ends up confusing Joe Shmoe.
There's a reason why the above have long been listed separately from "China (mainland)", because the laws, customs, currency, standards, and regulations are entirely different.
It's not some Western conspiracy to split up China.

| E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread |
MKSixer14452.50
Z K1391.50