View Single Post
      06-24-2019, 05:28 AM   #79
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
If you get rear-ended that frequently, you've got much bigger problems than what rack to use.

It's interesting to see how cycling racks have shifted, back in the 90s you had roof-racks and those hanging-style J-racks that went on hitches. The roof rack had issues with lofting your bike up on top of your car, especially when you consider all the different kinds of bikes today, road bikes, fat bikes, plus bikes, DH bikes, enduro bikes, etc. Besides the load issues, the last thing you want to do at the end of a ride is make a mistake loading on top of your nice car. I'm not perfect, so I realize this is an issue. Then there's the rocks and crap that falls off all bikes. I'll take a picture for you at some point so you can see (just cleaned my bikes, so it'll take another ride). The hanging-style racks were terrible, bikes would bash together, or you'd have to run a bunch of bungies, and the rack-sway was also terrible, not to mention they didn't work with many frames.

Now we have tray racks like the 1up USA, super easy to use, no lofting bikes over your head, easier to secure to the vehicle by cable/chain for security, can take a variety of bikes, etc. I have an older T2, mainly because it just keeps going, so no "$500" for me, it's approaching 15 years old. Pretty good investment if I do say so. There are a bunch of other modern hitch racks like the 1up that make loading and unloading a dream comparatively. These days, roof racks are becoming scarce because hitch racks are simply better 99% of the time. In a few situations, when there's no way to do a hitch rack, or you want a hitch and a roof rack for additional capacity, then it starts to make some sense.

You enjoy your sea-sucker, pumping it up, being limited by hub sizes, etc.

No one, I mean almost no one, prefers a roof rack these days. Some use it because they already have one, some because they don't want to spend any money, but this is 2019, we aren't taking wheels off every time we transport our bikes.

And my car rides just fine with the rack on. It rides just fine all the time.

If anything, you seem to be lashing out due to the choice you made with your "rack"? If I'm mistaken and you are totally happy, then I'm sorry I misinterpreted that. I'm perfectly happy.
The RISK is greater with a hitch-mounted bike-racks. Are you implying that they’re less risky than roof mounts? The popularity of the SUV Shifted the market to hitch-mounted bike racks. There was no emotional shift by the public for reasons you provided. Vehicles got too tall for roof-mounts. That’s it. Hitches are cumbersome to mount, more expensive and for the most part, vehicle specific. You’re poorly informed.
Appreciate 0