View Single Post
      02-18-2018, 08:23 AM   #237
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadillac2000 View Post
My stock pedal also was twisted slightly towards the dead pedal as you noticed. The OEM black rubber pedal covers did a nice job of hiding this, but when I installed the aluminum pedal covers, I noticed it immediately. I initially thought I'd misaligned my drill holes because that issue was remedied after I installed the UCP using the same performance pedal cover. After hearing from you, it seems that's apparently how the factory pedal is oriented. This correction may be a result of the UCP design itself, or the included shoulder bolt for the slave cylinder that completely eliminates all side to side slop the plastic pedal had (and probably how it sits as well).

In the resting up position, it sits a few inches lower and more flush with the surrounding brake/gas pedals. In conjunction with the included clutch stop, total travel distance is reduced greatly. After feeling the clutch without a helper spring, it seems that it didn't help much of anything. Sure, it assisted in returning the clutch to resting position, but did so at the expense of feel in the places you need it most. It took no time at all to get adjusted to the new pedal points as they're far more linear now. In no way does the UCP or lack of a helper spring make driving the car in traffic any worse either. I'm very partial to anything taking away daily drivability, and this mod only helps in all regards. I'd give your wife the go-ahead. I was also hesitant to invest the money, but I don't think there's any cons to this mod aside from cost.
Perfect. Sounds like the way to go. How was it to drill into for the bmwp pedals? Just did mine and did not enjoy drilling into the brake. When you say the spring helped it return to the up position, how does the return feel now? Easier to control clutch out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjswarbrick View Post
I left the helper spring in, and placed the pin in the central "sport" position.
I concur with Chad's assessment.
Better placement, no slop, much better feel and engagement. No downside.
Even cost wasn't bad. I broke my stock pedal and had to buy something. Was a no brainer for me.
One of my very favorite mods.

And with the hardware changes, it was much easier to install than the stock one.
What's the pin you speak of? Spring adjustment?