04-25-2021, 02:12 PM   #7
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
The service instructions say to replace all hardware so the rotor retaining bolt should be replaced. Will it make a difference? Probably not but are you willing to redo the work if it does?

I used Pentosin Super DOT4 so the DOT5.1 is likely just as good or better. I wouldn’t use anything that isn’t clearly DOT rated
The rotor bolt is for nothing more than holding the rotor in place while the wheel is off. Don't waste your time with new ones unless they're just rusty or stripped.

Bosch ESI6-32N is excellent fluid for anything but track use. It's quite a bit cheaper. I use it in all my cars (except the E82 right now which has Motul RBF600).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
That brake fluid came both as blue and standard colour. You can still get the regular colour version. The ONLY reason why they offered it in two different colours was it made it easier to flush the brakes and be able to tell when all the old fluid was out because you could alternate colours.

Personally, I really like the BMW DOT 4 fluid. Our cars actually call for a Low Viscosity DOT 4 that allows quicker response by the DSC unit so the ABS, traction control and stability control work better, especially in colder temps.

This is another option:

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Brakes/B...42156-Ate.html

Probably the same as the factory fluid. There is zero need for anything else on a street car.

If this is for a track only car, the only thing that should ever be used is Castrol SRF.
The BW price on the Ate SL6 is really a good deal. I'd probably go with that for street use if our cars actually benefit from low viscosity fluid.