Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Dackel,

Do you know if the gas available on US military bases in Europe is the same as US gas or is it low sulfur Euro gas? I just had an oil change with LL04 but mostly use gas on base...
I think it depends on each country.

In Italy they use Agip.

In Germany, the gas sold on Base is delivered thru an Esso supplier. That doesn't really mean it is an Esso gasoline and additive package.

I prefer to buy my gas from the local Esso station down the street (1 km) for a few reasons. I feel that the fuel sold at Esso off post is of a higher quality. Better pumps, better filters and additive package - and better upkeep on their pumps. Plus on my base they/we only sell (one) Super grade. The TUV inspects the Esso gas station. On base they do not have ANY compliance inspections. TUV test every gas station for volume and sulfur content. There are TUV decals with the inspection date stamped on each pump at the German Esso's. No inspection on base gas pumps!

I drive down the street to Esso gas station and tank with SuperPlus 98 octane gas.

IF you are stationed over here... I would highly suggest for you to try using either the Castrol sold via your BMW dealer or use Castrol's Edge RS 0w40 LL-4 oil. The engine really runs soooo much smoother (& cooler!) with this stuff vs the Mobil-1 0w40 LL1 oil. I always used M1 oil in my past cars... but I bit the bullet for one oil change and I will not go back to M1. The Castrol is that good. I can get the GC for 10 euros per liter with a VAT form.

Btw... in Germany they are switching over to Bio gasoline (E10) Ethonal with 10%. This is bad news! All super grade gasolines will have more ethonal blended into the gas. ONLY SuperPlus will remain "pure" gasoline. At the Esson in BA I know they will be closed tomorrow and Thursday for new pumps to be installed. Bio gas will be phased in all over Germany in this month of Feb, 2011.

http://www.bmu.de/files/pdfs/allgeme...att_e10_bf.pdf

Dackel

Last edited by Dackelone; 02-01-2011 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0