E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Boo!!

Sad to see you go, but I can understand the dilemma of too many cars and not enough space, or of trying to divide precious resources (i.e., time and money) between too many projects. It’s hard to argue against the practicality of an E91, and I think a 6MT example actually sounds like a lot of fun - maybe the ultimate do-everything family car. Certainly it probably makes a lot more sense to have a car like that in the mix rather than just the E36 & E82.

Anyway, GLWS!
Always loved your input on my progress as well as your build thread!

It's been a tough decision but I've become more open to letting the 1er go. The main issue is parking at my house with my e82 and e36 in the garage and my wife's Jetta in the driveway. Our community bans overnight street parking which makes having 4 cars tough with our relatives frequently vistiting, often overnight. Looking forward on the e36, I want to s54 swap it and need a space to park a donor car for a month or two. This reshuffle puts me a little closer to that goal.

I've always been enamoured with tourings for no particular reason. SUV's have zero appeal to me and wagons have always had a very Euro vibe, so it works for me. I pondered ordering one new when they were in production and came really close to buying an e39 525i several years ago. I also attempted to buy the infamous (on e90post wagon thread) e91 Alpine on Saddle M Sport from Beverly Hills BMW and missed out. Then I considered picking up a pre-LCI and doing an front end conversion but appropriately came to the realization that I don't need two major project cars. So I limited my search to LCI M Sports. I wasn't willing to compromise on RWD, 3rd pedal, xenon, and a 1 hump no nav dash. The right car came along and it just kind of happened. I will see how things are with both cars in the interim, but parting with the e82 is the most sensible thing to do. As long as my wife gets to pick her lease every three years I have the run of the rest of the fleet.

An e91 does make a ton more sense for the occasional Saturday nice weather trip out with our toddler and infant as well as the occasional Home Depot and IKEA run. I think I've always held back a bit on modding the 1er knowing I'd buy the correctly spec'ed e91 if it came along. I will do a bit more to the e91, it already has a couple suspension mods and a 3IM. And I've already bought an arrival parts refresh package for it.

Hopefully when we have a house with 3 or 4(!) garage slots I'll be back in an e82 again. Depending on finances, I'd like to add 128i, 1M, or 993 to the mix, all of which were made in greater numbers than 6 speed e91's. We can all dream, right! Nothing currently being produced or on the horizon interests me at all.

Last edited by E91WAG3N; 12-25-2017 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 0