View Single Post
      01-18-2015, 06:33 PM   #21
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
Interesting data. You mentioned that the lower OEM and Powerflex bushing are plotted but I only see the OEM bushing.

What bother me about the Powerflex busing is how much load would be put on the shock shaft when articulating. I do believe this is about 10 degree angle maximum. The added friction to the system might not be worth any benefits?
Lower is OE only. I am not familiar with a Powerflex option for the bottom mount. And given how stiff it is in the axis of the shock already, I can't see the point.

Name:  10 Rear Shock Bushing Tests.jpg
Views: 6552
Size:  78.8 KB

The top mount only articulates about ±1 degree, which is surprisingly small and results in quite manageable articulation loads even with the Powerflex upper mount. The bottom mount does go to about 10 degrees at the extreme of bump travel, as you observe. This takes 35-40 lbs of side force at the rod guide bushing. I haven't tried to characterize the friction resulting. I see you have an M lower camber arm and thus a rod-eye bushing at the end, which possibly results in lower side forces on the bushing.
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50