10-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #13
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Do they have to have the snow flake symbol as well as the M+S marking? The german-way link just said M+S, so it's a little confusing. I've used all-seasons with M+S in the past and don't want to get in trouble the next time I drove over.

OP, we rented both an X1 on summers and a 320i on all-seasons two weeks ago when I was in Munich and on the colder days, I felt more comfortable driving the 3er over the X1, didn't go nearly as high as you are going, but did have it up to the base of the Zugspitze. I'd second Dackel's temp recommendations if you can't find a rental set of tires.

I'm pretty sure that you need both the M+S marking and the SNOW FLAKE symbol for winter weather driving over here, now. I know my BMW snows (RFT) have both. But to be honest... its the sort of thing that most cops would not check for unless you got into an accident here.

Going off of my memory from last year's court case ruling... the guy who protested his "winter tire" ticket (his lawyers) cited some of the new Chinese imported tires(nto Germany)... some that are clearly summer profiles and rubber compounds, but have a M+S logo molded on the sidwall. Those tires "met" German law, but were clearly not wise to use for winter tires. Because the law was not specific enough... that guy got his ticket thrown out of court. Now... even motorcycles and trucks need snow tires when it is winter outside. Even though the tire makers do not make snow tires for motorcylces or large trucks!
Appreciate 0