07-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #109
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelf View Post
So - how is it that Ford has not one car that is outstanding in any criteria
Sorry - but Ford was never (ok maybe 50 years ago) and is not a car company that defines the pace for the automotive industry.
Ford is in no way premium. That means Ford will never be in a position to earn really much money per car. And regarding their competition in the mass market they stand no chance against VW and Toyota...
And - regarding your reference to "BMW and economies of scale". Mass is not a guaranty for success. Look at GM - my goodness! Following your thinking, BMW had to be dead for decades now. Guess what: They are not - they are currently enhancing their sales volume by 15% and I suspect they will innovate the industry with their upcoming premium megacity vehicle.... something Ford has to run after then.....
Whuh?

2011 Mustang GT is faster in a straight line than the M3, gets better fuel economy, and nearly equals it in raw handling/braking performance for half the cost. It blows away anything within 10 grand in terms of performance.

The V6 in the Mustang puts down as much HP as the N54, while also deliving vastly superior fuel efficiency. It's an NA motor...

The EcoBoost V6 is superior to the N54 in all regards.

The Ford Fusion didn't win MT's Car of the Year for no reason, it's outstanding.

Their hybrid technology is far more advanced than BMW's.

In general, their cars rank as more reliable.

This isn't dumping on BMW, BMWs still offer other things that appeal to many drivers, but at this point Ford's engine tech is quite clearly superior, and their ability to produce a competent performance car at a very low price point is without question.
Appreciate 0