12-24-2018, 08:15 PM   #15
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkat View Post
I have recently had 2 horrible dealer experiences that I would like to share with the forum. (different dealers for each service)

1st dealer experience - I needed the airbag recall performed. I decided it was a good time to change the fluids coolant, brake, power steering, rear diff.
When I picked up the car the oil warning lamp came on. I had changed to oil less than 500 miles before! & checked the level before I brought it in and was almost at the full line I had reset the trip odometer to see how many miles would be put on the car after I picked it up. Whoever thrashed my car reset it to 0 once again. From now on, I will always take a picture of the odometer reading if I ever dare to go back to a dealer. Service adviser seemed mortified and went to the parts dept. & handed me 2 quarts of oil gratis. I vowed, never again to this dealer.

2nd dealer experience - Received 20% off service coupon via email. Since I had an ABS failure, It was a good opportunity to have it done on black Friday since I was off from work. Also decided it was a good time to change the battery.
Called on Monday for Friday appointment. Told them I wanted an AGM battery since original was lead acid. Friday afternoon adviser calls and says the battery is not stock and needs to be ordered. I said, I told you Monday I needed the battery, I would have paid for it in advance if that was needed to order it. Is part #61-21-2-353-811 AGM? I don't trust these guys at all. He told me not to worry, as all M cars are stored indoors until picked up by owner. Today, 8 DAYS LATER I picked up my car. Completely filthy & bird droppings. When I saw the bill I flipped out. They charged me $185.00 (less 20%) for a diagnostic 2 TIMES! one for each error code! Also charged me $216.00 for pulse sensor 34-52-6-870-077 When onlinebmw shop.com says LIST price is $150.47. So, even after the discount, paid more than list for a part?? Advisor knocked some more $$ off invoice. I still feel that is was screwed. So discouraged/disappointed in dealer experience. I think it is time to find a reputable independent shop.
Switch to an independent. https://www.bimrs.org/

As far as BMW pricing on parts... this has been this way a LOONG time.

BMW does not set the MSRP for parts.
BMW sets a RECOMMENDED price.

Each and every BMW dealer is free to set their own " list price" and then discount to a selling price from there.

I heard about this and called to local dealers in DFW looking for a part over a decade ago... perhaps about 15 years now.

I called the FOUR local dealers on a Fuel pump- BMW E30 M3

Dealer 1- $119.95
Dealer 2- $139.95
Dealer 3- $149.95
Dealer 4 -$119.95

Online price - $99.95 at Turner Motorsport ; Bimmerworld, online BMW dealer places etc..

ALL of the local dealers didn't keep it in stock and required 3 days for the part to come in.

WHY WOULD I PAY A LOCAL DEALER MORE TO SHIP THE SAME PART IN?

In that case.. I ordered the part online and installed it myself. Afterwards I decided to frequent shops that allowed me to bring in parts or at least match the online parts places.

So.. see if your local independent will match online parts prices as they will be making additional money on the labor.
Appreciate 0