Thread: Oil cooling
View Single Post
      07-26-2018, 07:19 AM   #1
bionicbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z3 coupe, 128i

Oil cooling

Ok, so I have problems. 2010 BMW 128 track only car.

Car keeps going into limp mode after a few laps in hot weather. No codes, no warning on the dash, just cuts power. All coding for the track was done by bimmergeeks. E-diff, brake temp, etc. etc.

So I have a few questions.

First, I have the INPA tool from bimmergeeks. Is there a way I can find what is triggering this cut in power?

If it ends up being oil temp, which I suspect (pulled off track and water temp was 189 F) what is the best option for me? I think there are two as far as I can see. The oil water exchange thing on N54/N52 cars, or to use an oil filter housing from one of those cars and do an air cooled oil cooler. Obviously the first option would be an easier install, but I am concerned it may not be enough.

Any help/experience is appreciated.

I just can't continue to have this happen. I generally drop my best laps later in the session, and this is KILLING me. Last weekend at HPT, I am coming out of the last turn going on the front straight, predictive timing shows a low 1:15 which would be good for the win, and boom, limp mode. Happened the day before also.
Appreciate 0