Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicbelly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
I've run with the water-oil heat exchanger in 90-degree weather (sunny, humid, in the mountains) without a problem. I also installed a 135i instrument cluster so that I can monitor my oil temps (I don't care much about coolant). They never crested 240 on Summit Point Main (a fairly fast track), and never passed 250 on Summit Point Shenandoah (MUCH more technical, not much straightaway time for good cooling). It's been a good upgrade, and it also means you don't have to do bumper and fender work to fit in an air-oil heat exchanger...
So I have looked into this a bit, and I have the housing/exchanger figured out, but it sounded like there were some other hoses to install. Any insight on that? I will probably go this route, as I have brake cooling, and not really a lot of room for anything else, and I suck a fabbing things up. Also, thanks a lot for the info. That was what I was looking for.
There's a metal pipe that goes from the water pump to the block of the engine on the exhaust side that (if your car is a manual) needs to be replaced with the one for automatic cars, and then there's a hose that runs from the new housing to a barb on the aforementioned pipe. This is how water gets circulated through the heat exchanger, it comes from the water pump, through the core, over to the radiator, gets cooled and does it all over again, parallel to the coolant running through the engine.