09-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #16
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head View Post
I heard about this, but what about the factory N52 oil cooler? i mean there is what appears to be a coolant hose connected, does it get just blocked off?

On my Mending Airfield track day, it was over 42c on track and redlining 3rd gear 90% of the track, shifting to 4th and touching 190kph before hard braking for turn 1, engine rpms never dropped below 4,000-4,200 or so.

Even then it was the hottest track session i saw and the oil temperature was just a smidge over 120c (installed 135i cluster gauges).

I am running 5w-40 oil weight though, oil temps usually sit between 115c-120c during this year's track events, only at Mending i saw what i would say 125c or so since it was really hot.

Car has a software tune as engine mod, all other fluids and oils were flushed with the exception of the coolant (was the original 2012 one, never replaced, which is what i did about a month ago).

To my knowledge these N52s do not run hot, even when pushed hard.

*EDIT* Looks like some models came with and without a water-oil cooler heat exchanger from the factory? Mine has the second pic linked from the E90 forums (not the 1st one with the black plastic cover).
I read somewhere that some "hot weather" cars came fitted with the oil coolers, perhaps cars sold in hot climates.
Appreciate 1