View Single Post
      10-17-2020, 10:34 AM   #11
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I got my code checker/clearing tool (the one I mention above, it was about $100) yesterday. I had codes 5D91 and 5D93 indicating the left front wheel sensor is not working. I can also see the signal from the wheel sensors so I tried that. The other 3 show up fine, the left front has no signal. So I ordered it. I took the cheapest shipping option from Rock Auto so I will not get it until late next week.

My total cost for these repairs will thus be about $200. Half of that is for the diagnostic tool I can use again. About $30 of that is rear wheel speed sensors I do not need (at least now). I'm OK with that. I do not believe I could have gotten it fixed any cheaper taking it somewhere although I am sure it would have been fixed sooner. That is not critical to me (since I have another car).

I have not tried the tool for battery registration yet, it is supposed to do that too. Seems worth the $100. It is easy to use, you just plug it into the USB and click through the menus.

I never realized what people talk about with a BMW specific code reader, versus a tool like torque which I also use. Torque will read the codes that cause the "check engine" light to illuminate. But it does not show chassis codes like these ABS codes. My Autophix 7810 reads the chassis codes, shows the signals from the sensors, registers batteries, does neat things. For $100.