10-07-2020, 06:54 PM   #105
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e30 M3, e46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1spirit View Post
Awesome stuff! Thank you for documenting your build - it’s a good wealth of information - just the thread I’ve been looking for

I’m at the point where I need to upgrade to the M3 front wheel carrier/knuckle.

So is it just the following two parts that bolt right on, to fit M3 struts?

1) M3 front wheel carrier/knuckle 31-21-2-283-435
2) M3 front wheel bearing and hub assembly 31-22-2-282-670

Parts #2 & #6 in the diagram below:
Yes, those two parts are needed. Are you also doing the M3 control arms and tie rod? If you do the control arms then the tie rod is necessary because the 135 rod is a bit shorter and you end up needing to wind out the end fitting so it’s not biting a lot of threads on the rod. That’s my understanding. The 135 rod tie rod will work but may become a safety issue. I do recommend the control arms because of the bearings vs. bushings on the ends. You have to read the posts by Felix for this.

You’re also going to need sway bar links. These have a different pickup point on the M than on the 135.

If you’re doing the control arms then you’ll also need the specific headlight leveling sensor.

As I stated in a post above: if you're going to do the front end, do all the bits for the front. Yes, it's expensive but the car is totally transformed. I ran the car with full 1M front and full stock rear for 3 years and it was SO much better than stock. Running the 255 tires all around and much tighter M front was a huge improvement. Adding all the rear parts makes you realize why the 1M is so highly regarded.

Any way, I used the threads by TUN3D to guide me through this. His work was documented down to the nut and bolt. My goal was not to re-write a how-to. My focus has been on documenting problems that come up when going through this build.

I couldn't have done it without this:
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862256

Here's the front end thread. This includes a full parts list with parts numbers:
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1058161

Last edited by drwillb; 10-07-2020 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 0