!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
jebus!

At that price I think you could have a local CnC shop make one.

And it'd be far cheaper/easier/lighter to just buy a second AL scissor jack and call over a buddy to man it.
Yeah, it's not cheap.

I guess you could have a shop make one, but wouldn't you need to have plans or something? I doubt it would be nearly as high quality as the Brunnhoelzl, anyway. I mean, all they do is design and build legendary racing jacks, versus some random CnC machinist, who maybe has never made a jack before?

I just know I've gone through a couple of cheaper aluminum jacks in the $100-$200 range, and they just don't last. Within a year or two, the seals are busted and they're leaking hydraulic fluid, and I don't feel safe using them. There are some that are rebuildable, but they seem to be about the same cheapo build quality, as far as I can tell. I don't know how many times I've seen threads like this on car forums, where someone asks for advice on a quality aluminum jack because their previous one broke. I guess, to a point, it would still be cheaper to buy a Chinese-made HF jack every couple of years, but it sure seems wasteful.

The Brunnhoelzl is made in the USA and built like a tank, but still very portable. And the action is silky smooth - it's like the Swiss watch of jacks, lol. Plus, the saddle height is almost a full inch lower than the typical "low-profile" aluminum jacks, which required me to get my car onto ramps before using. I think it's 6 pumps to full height, which is a good compromise between speed and ease of use (i.e., effort required per pump). I think a 3-pump version is available, as well.

But yes, it's stupid expensive.