View Single Post
      08-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #173
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Sorry to bring this back from the dead.

I disengaged my valve using the solenoid in the trunk method. 2 reasons. easy to put back together, and i didn't have to lay down, as i'm 6'4 almost 6'5, it's a long way down to stick my head under the car.

I will stick my BT tool on the car in a day or two to see if it actually throws a code or not.

This DOES make an audible difference in the low end of the rev band, It reminds me of my buddies 98 M3 for sound volume in city driving. However, there is a bit of a drone on the highway, but it's nothing conversation and music wont cover up.

As for back pressure comments from people. no matter what exhaust is on a car, it's causing mroe back pressure then the turbos want. the best exhaust for a turbo motor is a megaphone shaped pipe about 18" long.

as for the N/A cars, i can't say without talking to any of the techs, but, the valve may actually be used to improve fuel mileage and emissions, as backpressure is actually needed on a N/A motor so that valve may be working in conjunction with the vanos system or whatever it is in BMW. that being said. you probably won't notice anything, only a little more noise. (if i'm correct.)

This mod in my opinion was worth it to hear my car clear it's throat. That being said, it's probably more noticable in my car as i have an intake.

question for anyone out there, when you hit about 3500 rpm on medium throttle, do you hear a satisfying moan from the exhaust? well, that's due to the valve opening, if you do this mod, that sound starts a lot sooner, but much lower pitched.
Appreciate 0