View Single Post
      07-25-2018, 11:45 PM   #21
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
The power increase is proportional, so you can extrapolate a ~50% increase on 230bhp. Even allowing for some losses that is a really ridiculous increase to a NA engine still running on pump fuel (E85 is available at the pump).

Also, how anyone can enter a discussion on engines but not know about E85 is beyond me. Hint...it's not 85 octane, it's mostly ethanol and tunes like leaded race gas. So yeah, I've shown how you can get a shitload more power without touching the rev limit. You disagree?
A tuner could probably make a lot of mods to the engine to do everything you cited, but we are talking about a base-model engine here. If you wanted the fast 1er you would buy the 135i. The N52 is not supposed to be a revvy powerhouse, it's supposed to be good enough across a variety of base models (1er, 3er, 5er, Z4, probably some of the X models).

Overall we are getting off topic. Your point was that this is not a high output 3L engine and hence you can beat the shit out of it all day and you won't hurt it, which is a very valid point. If it came with 405hp or whatever you calculated, you likely could not beat the shit out of it all day like we can.
Appreciate 0