04-11-2018, 10:29 PM   #84
BillDaCat8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
How hard was it to get the roof off? I would love the carbon roof, getting the glass out is not a problem for me but cutting the roof off seems like a daunting task.... I see you drilled the spot welds, was it difficult to separate roof skin from the car? What else do you need besides the glue and carbon roof?
I simply sliced around the perimeter and then peeled the skin back to expose the inner structure. See pic. Then I carefully snipped the inner structures’ tabs to the side rails and front and rear bows.

You can drill or grind the spot welds. I drilled most of them. It’s a cleaner process than throwing sparks all over the place with the die grinder. There’s some sections that are glued too. Have a good heat gun handy for those.

Go back and look at my pics where I’m talking about the tabs that the drip rail moldings attach to. I feel that they’re important to retain. As built, they’re part of the roof skin. If you just cut all the welds and remove the roof, you lose them along with the correct way to attach the moldings. I basically made them so that they are part of the side rails now.

You’ll need a new headliner as well as the center roof bow if yours is/was a sunroof car. The shark fin will need to be re-attached. So, plan for that as well. BMW doesn’t sell the attachment tape separately.
Attached Images

Last edited by BillDaCat8; 04-11-2018 at 10:35 PM..
Appreciate 0