Japan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post
Sad to see this thread just die...all that love and effort to restore these cars and then like a poof of smoke, Glassoman55 is gone...
Is there anyone else restoring 1Ms?
Did he close his shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post
This bothers me also...what happens in 15-20 years when parts start drying up and the car can't be repaired as all the salvage cars are premium priced and BMW is no longer making 1M parts....
The good part is many mechanicals pair up with M3 products. Sheet metal might be a problem, though.
One of the things 1M haters always mention as a negative, which I'll summarize here as "not bespoke enough", has always been a positive for me. The majority of our engine is in a shit ton of BMWs. Our running gear is in a fairly large production run M3 series. A fair portion of our sheet metal and interior pieces are in the same generation 1 series sedans.

I don't want to jinx myself, but I I get a little bit of comfort over the fact I have some amount of control over the pieces which will likely be the rarest: the subset of sheet metal and interior that is exclusive to the 1M.