United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Finally started my Euro xenon retrofit.

My DEPOs were really on their last legs. The lights turned on, that's about it. The lens fogged up quiet fast, they let it in moisture, and the plastic just crumbled apart. Looked decent enough for what was originally a halogen car though. The driver's side one must've gotten cooked from the lack of airflow by the airbox. I grabbed onto it to remove it and the whole thing just caved in.

The retrofit is quite a project. Finally did enough research to make it manageable though. I got the upgraded FRM installed and coded - added $522 to my VO. The actual headlight install is very easy, remove the bumper and out they come. Nice to remove all the extra wiring, ballasts, cancellers, etc. from the aftermarket lights.

Now I just need to work on wiring. Unfortunately this is something that differs from E90. The 3 series guys need to bridge a few wires and they'll be up and running. Not the case for us. When you tell the car you now have the xenon light option, it moves which pins are active on the lighting computer. Specifically, I need to move the angel eye and high beam shutter wires. You can hijack the old high beam and side light wires that already run to the computer, and just change their spots on either end.

After that, I need to install the headlight level sensors and their wires. I have the rear sensor in and the wires running to the FRM, but not pinned in. I haven't even started the front. Got all the parts I need sitting in a few boxes - I ordered parts from BMW and also cut up a junkyard E90 for a bunch of connectors/wires/pins.

https://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewto...0ea2d#p1171162

Also check out the other needy car that takes up all my time (1992 Honda Beat).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WgSo View Post
desertman123 Thanks a lot for the detail reply, this has been very insightful and helpful.

Additional questions on the IAT. According to ECS, the IAT is 2 pin, while the MAF has 5 pins, just want to double confirm that it's the same part you mention and still plug and play?

Will the bimmerlab tune work on an automatic car?

If I go with Bob/StageFP, I may go down to him and get a Dyno tune. To save money, I plan on installing the parts on my own before driving down. If I install either or both the IAT and AA Header, do you know if the car would still run without a tune right away?
Yes plug and play. The bimmerlab tune should work regardless. Not sure if StageFP supports the Euro IAT/MAF delete. But the car will run mostly fine on a stock tune even if you're full bolt-on
Attached Images

Last edited by desertman123; 11-07-2021 at 05:50 AM..
Appreciate 0