View Single Post
      01-11-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

How are the DIYers jacking up the car?

I want to change fluids more often than specified by BMW, and will probably go the DIY route. Apparently, the way I was raised (oil changes underneath the car supported only by the jack itself) wasn't quite correct.

I've read a handful of 1 series and 1M threads about how to jack up our car properly and found this picture.

Name:  1 series jack points.jpg
Views: 85176
Size:  81.6 KB

I am hoping some people who do this stuff regularly can point me in the right direction. I'm looking for: 1) specific equipment recommendations (jack, jackstands, ramps?) and 2) procedural suggestions.

It looks to me that you first use a low profile jack underneath the center jacking point to get the front end up and then place jackstands underneath the plastic jack points. The plastic things look like they'd get crushed easily, so I think we're supposed to use jack pad adapters (four of them?). Do normal jackstands with the V-shaped heads work ok or is it preferable to get ones with flat heads?

Once you get the car on front jackstands, then you jack up the rear from the diff??? Looking at undercarriage pictures, I'm not feeling it. Stick a jack on the finned diff cover? The following picture is from a thread on 1addicts back in May.

Name:  1M rear diff under shot.jpg
Views: 54149
Size:  413.1 KB

If you're successful, how much do the front jackstands (or car) shift as you raise the rear?

Sorry to ask what might be dumb questions. I've scoured various BMW forums as well as google and youtube, and am not finding the info I'm looking for.
Appreciate 0