View Single Post
      08-02-2015, 09:47 AM   #2
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
In 2008 I was stationed overseas (Spain) in the US military. Between my wife and I we could only bring one car, so we opted to bring her 2004 Scion xB because it was small, reliable, practical, and paid off.

I figured I'd pick up another car when we returned to the US, and I sort of assumed I'd get a Volkswagen. I'd always been kind of a VW guy, having previously owned a 1990 Corrado, and regularly driven my wife's 1972 Super Beetle, and an old girlfriend's Mk2 Golf.

But then sometime in 2009, a friend on base was going out of town for an extended trip, and she let me use her Euro-spec 1996 318ti while she was away. I had always admired the E36, but never really cared for the styling of the hatchback version before - but wow, was it a hoot to drive! I was instantly sold on the RWD layout, the excellent steering feel, the balanced chassis, and all the other things that make a BMW a BMW. I eventually grew to appreciate the styling, too, but it wasn't all roses - I also got my first taste of working on cars, having to repair a broken driver's-side window regulator, and seeking out technical expertise on an internet forum (the excellent 318ti.org). Still, when it was time to give the keys back a couple of months later, I was hooked, and began visiting the local BMW Military Sales office.

In January of 2010 I ordered my car, a Crimson Red 128i with the essentials: 6MT, Sport Package, Xenon Headlamps, and no sunroof. I really, really wanted an M-Sport, but it wasn't available on 128i's in Crimson Red, and the color was more important to me. I don't regret my decision. Build date was in February 2010. Here it is when I first picked it up, in April 2010:

Name:  new car.jpg
Views: 6886
Size:  308.4 KB

Last edited by Bimmer-Bob; 08-04-2015 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0