07-01-2017, 06:07 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by brytom View Post
I've seen it on E90 where the rod comes out of the ball socket.
I would say the motor is working cause the thing moves up and down.
I'd remove the back cover and see for yourself. I assume only one is having the issue? If so, take both apart and compare.
BTW, it normally only works in one direction horizontally. It shouldn't work towards the right as that would blind oncoming traffic and that would be a safety hazard.
As long as the headlight switch is in AUTO... both headlights will move left/right when driving - the SAME amount. I think you need to be going over 30 kph for them to do so - though.

Also... when the car is not moving... the driver's light won't move the same amount of arch/sweep as the passenger side light. I'd say its like 15' degrees of movement for the driver side headlight vs 30' degrees of movement for the passenger side. But once your moving... both headlights will move the same amount of "sweep"(degrees) in a turn.

Here is my 135i lights that are coded to the European AHL mode. The drivers headlight will dip down and swing more to the left at lower speeds... but after 80 kph that headlight will center itself. Also the highbeams put out more light(LUX) than the US coding/DOT allows.

brytom has a good point about the internal linkage coming apart. Other than that... I'm afraid your looking at a new headlight.

Dackel
Appreciate 0