nwautoxer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M

Another Part # for Differential Fluid

Took my 1M in for break-in service today. The invoice came back showing
0000610 Rear Differential Service 61 WMP
3 83-22-2-148-560 OIL XJ

Because I hadn't seen this part number before I called the parts department and the manager went out and looked at the barrel and said it was a small drum (about 30 gallons) and according to his parts information is the same fluid as 83-22-1-470-080, just a different quantity.

He also provided a printout of a memo sent today from www.excelda.com giving updates on part numbers that that are on backorders, etc. Regarding our transmission fluid, it says "If you have ordered BMW part number 83222239654 MTF LT-5 1 liter it is currently on backorder. We have resumed shipping out of our Michigan facility, and are transfering product to Arizona to ship those backorders out next week."

Regarding differential fluid, it says "Most backorders for BMW part number 83222282583 SAF XJ FM Booster 1L were shipped out as of 1/26/12, however, it went on backorder on 1/27/12. We are expecting another shipment in on 2/15 and will ship out all backorders as soon as possible."

There are a lot of other part numbers on backorder, but they don't seem relevant to the break-in service for a 1M.

Based on the mid December emails from Dackelone and others in this thread, I'm glad the dealership used the differential fluid they had on hand rather than waiting for the part number with the friction modifier (FM). Anyone have a differing opinion?
Appreciate 0