View Single Post
      06-19-2019, 01:59 PM   #19
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrahams View Post
Knowing the quality of work you do; it seems that you could have made all of these parts with the way you want them. Why didn’t you start there? Or am I guessing you expected better quality materials/control?
Buying off the shelf is a lot cheaper than inventing (which often goes through several iterations and requires information that is only available by taking stuff apart). I like the Turner solution and the quality of their parts. My only issue is with their design decision to knurl the OD. Having measured a couple of of suspension arms I can see why they did though.

I am making replacement bushings because:
1) I have the Turner parts in hand to reverse engineer the basic design
2) As I am able to measure the arms I have on hand before making the parts, I can ensure that the bushings I make will be interference fit in those actual arms and don't care about all possible arms (which Turner necessarily must).
3) I have the spherical bearings, retaining rings and spacers from the Turner parts so don't need any additional parts
4) Getting Turner to replace the part would involve substantial shipping costs both directions because I am not in the USA
Appreciate 1