View Single Post
      06-13-2019, 04:25 PM   #15
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

I wish all was good in spherical world, after 4 track days, but I needed to investigate a rattle that had developed in the left front. Jacking the car and twisting the tension arm quickly revealed that the Turner Motorsports bearing housing was loose in the arm. I pulled the arm and after removing the retaining ring, the bearing housing fell out. The serrations on the housing had worn mostly off, slightly marking the arm. The arm itself is neither significantly oversize nor out of round.

I am not a fan of the serrated design because it results in minimal actual bearing surface. Also, Loctite retaining compound can't be used effectively because the film thickness is not properly controlled by the deep valleys in the serrations.

Turner will take the bushings back, but that doesn't really help me. Therefore I have descided to make my own housings with a proper interference fit in the control arm. I am attaching a pic, prior to anodizing. I am using the bearing, retaining rings and spacers from the Turner assembly.

For some reason the RH front is fine, but I have made a spare housing for the day that gets loose too.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2