View Single Post
      04-26-2015, 04:45 PM   #46
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Short install today.

Added an H&R 27mm Front Sway and Rogue Engineering Transmission Mounts

It was convenient to do them both together as I had to take the belly pans off for both.

Front Sway Bar:

The front sway bar job was probably the easiest mod I've made to the car so far. 4 bolts for the bushings (13mm) and 1 bolt on each end link (17mm wrench, 16mm socket). Flip it over and pull it out, then just replace with the other. I didn't bother taking the front wheels off. Just keep everything loose until it's all bolted up to make sure you can get the end links on.

Before:

After:

The new bar had a great Graphite Gray metallic flake paint job, and is significantly heavier the stocker. It also lacks the pinch in the middle, 27mm straight through. Dimensions are perfect and had no issues hooking up to the stock end links.

Initial driving impressions are good. I haven't had a chance to test the car through corners but the amount of initial front end piggery is reduced greatly. Weight transfer L to R is improved as well, it doesn't lunge into the corners anymore.

Transmission Mounts:

I opted for the Rogue Engineering mounts over the E46 M3 mounts due to reviews on NVH. Supposedly the RE mounts transfer less vibration and noise to the cabin than the E46M3 mounts do. Time will tell on that.

The install is extremely straight-forward and can be accomplished in about 30 minutes while on jackstands. Note, I already had the front pan off for the sway bar job, and taking the transmission pan off is a cinch.

I used a 13mm deep well socket and a 13mm 12-point wrench. 4 bolts for the mounts, and 4 bolts for the crossmember.

The biggest thing I found that made this easier was to jack from the transmission-midpipe brace, and to jack only enough to release pressure from the mounts. If you jack further, it will cause the transmission to move slightly and require slight realignment of the crossmember.

Old mounts:

Side By Side (Rogue Engineering mount on Right)

The RE mounts are significantly larger. The material is similar, and firmer on the RE mounts, but not by much. I can easily deform the stock mount with one hand. It does look like the stock mounts have become compressed over time.

The RE mounts have a slot for the alignment nub on the crossmember, but no alignment nub for the transmission slot. I found no issue with this. I installed by bolting the mounts to the crossmember first, then sliding the whole shooting match onto the transmission.

New mounts:

Initial Impressions:
I should have done this mod years ago. I have a modified CDV, BMS Clutch Stop, Redline MTL fluid, and a E46 ZHP shift knob. My shifting is nearly rifle bolt smooth now. The rubbery vagueness selecting gears is massively reduced, if not eliminated. I haven't noticed any additional vibrations and if anything, transmission whine and shift knob vibration seem to be reduced. Clutch chatter is also reduced. I would pin this on the old mounts being fairly well worn after 60k miles.

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 08-03-2017 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0