View Single Post
      01-05-2017, 05:18 PM   #106
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

SSD upgrade for CIC

After a few hiccups I have finally got an SSD in my CIC. Because the CIC unit takes IDE hard drives I decided I didn't want to be restricted to an outdated standard and use an IDE SSD. I have heard some reports that the cheaper SSDs overheat in Australian summers so I wanted a high quality unit.

I decided to go for an MSATA->IDE converter, plenty of cheap high quality drive out there. I initially bought a cheap converter which worked on my PC but not on the CIC. On ebay there was a listing for a nicer converter with a metal casing which was a bit more expensive. Wasn't sure if it would work so did some reasearch online and there was a Japanese blog that used a converter that looked identical from the blurry pictures.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/371792480...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I purchased a 512GB MSATA SSD for my laptop that I haven't installed yet, so I will be using it for now. Imaged the drive with Paragon HDD manager. Also removed the ugly sticker on the top of the drive (2nd photo)

The actual performance increase is very minor. Menus and stuff was already pretty fast for me. I don't think I notice much difference at all actually. I don't mind too much though, one of the main reasons I did this was to increase reliability and get rid of the annoying HDD seek noise I get when the car is parked.

EDIT: The Map updates are very fast with this SSD in comparison to the hard drive
Attached Images

Last edited by vtl; 03-31-2020 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0