02-05-2010, 11:28 PM   #15
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr3K0 View Post
Honestly I dont see how the M1 can be all that better (performance wise) vs a properly moded 135i.

M suspension => we got it. Swap the pieces from a M3
Power => LOL
Brakes => eheh , some holes on the disk wont do sh!t, change your pards for something better and thats it. Want to get fancy, get a 2 piece rotor

The only you wont have is the M status and 20k less on your pocket.

Well, probably the interior will be more "sporty" But even that you can buy it if is what you want.

The only thing I whould love from it is the roof and hood. Possibly the trunk. But since is the same chassis well.

Hopefully there will not be HPFP misshaps.
Until we know the exact specs of the M1 it's hard to speculate. You could be right, a heavily modded 135i may be a better option vs a stock M1 or it may fall short in some areas. Regardless, the M1 will be a better base platform than the base 135i. There are a few heavily modded 335i's that are better than M3's in more ways than one but there is no denying that the M3 is the better platform of the 2.

I think the 135i will always been seen as the modders choice and a sensible one if you are very much into tuning. I mean why spend an extra 10-20k when you can pick up a 135i and mod it to your liking and get a very similar or if not better drive? Of course, there will always be M owners that class regular BMW cars in a different category and see them as inferior no matter what or how good they are.
Appreciate 0