View Single Post
      04-28-2020, 10:17 PM   #2
Tut4u2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M3 Conversion

In searching for a donor car, there were a couple of things that I wanted:
• DCT Transmission – the decision wasn’t based around what is fastest or more fun, but rather I enjoy the DCT more. Having driven the 6 speeds before and owning an S2K, I don’t find the feel in the BMW transmission to be as good as the Honda; the throws are longer and vague in comparison. There are aftermarket solutions to address that but I didn’t want to go down that path.
• Idrive/Tech Package – The system is outdated, but I wanted MDM and eventually I will upgrade to an aftermarket unit so I will be able to get Android Auto/Apply Car Play and more importantly get stats via OBD to the screen while I’m track.
• EDC – Initially I didn't know whether I was going to go the coilover route or upgrade to Bilsteins, but I wanted to keep my options open. Secondly, I wanted the top trim of everything that BMW had to offer at the time.
• No frame damage and a car that runs – This is pretty self-explanatory. I wanted a solid base and not deal with the hassle of replacing subframes or any major components. The body I could care less about since it was going to get junked.
I lucked out that I found a salvage car on eBay pretty quick and a week later the car was in my driveway. I was on vacation when the car arrived, but the car didn’t really look THAT bad. The mad-max look was kind of nice. Secondly, the engine bay was clean and the car looked to be taken care off by the previous owner.
Unfortunately, the car didn’t run and so started my first headache. My HOA doesn’t allow for car repairs outside your garage and non-running vehicles so I had address this quickly. The car would not turnover even though it had power. Going through my diagnostics I went through the following:
• First thing I did was swap out the battery with a new one, but nothing.
• Next up was replacing the starter. Still nothing.
• I disconnected the IBS. Nada
• I figured it HAD to be the BST given that the car was into an accident. I bypassed the system by soldering in a resistor, but to my disappointment the car refused to run.
• A week after I got the car, I found the problem was a simple one and embarrassing. The positive cable was corroded from water sitting in the battery tray. It helps to do this during the day and not at night after work and your kid goes to sleep! Also its ironic in the sense that my E36 had the exact issue as well and I had to build a new battery tray for it.

Timeline so far:
8/19 - Saw the car on eBay
8/20 - Seller sends me photos and I wire funds
8/24 - Car arrives to my house
8/28 - I see the car for the first time
9/2 - Car is running and ready for disassembly

Last edited by Tut4u2; 04-29-2020 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 5
Afam28298.00
BMWWorld234.50
lab_rat394.50
DrFerry6728.50